One ingredient, a world of possibilities. Let us show you what you can do with a DENNY mushroom. Hint: it’s wildly tasty! Add goodness to every meal with our DENNY recipes.
Mushroom Braai PizzasServes: 6Prep time: 30 minutesCook time: 15 minutes
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tin peeled tomatoes (400g)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sea salt flakes
250g Denny Fresh Brown Mushrooms (6 large mushrooms)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Olive oil for brushing
Red onion, sliced
To make the pizza sauce:
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat sauté the garlic in the olive oil. When the garlic is soft and fragrant add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and salt. Mix well and break up the tomatoes with your spatula. Turn the heat down and allow the sauce to simmer for 30 minutes to get a good concentrated tomato flavour. For a smooth sauce- blend the sauce with an immersion blender until silky and no lumps remain.
To assemble the pizzas:
- Prepare your braai.
- Brush the underside of the mushrooms with some olive oil.
- Sneaky tip: Using a toothpick- puncture each mushroom 3 or four times to allow their water to drip out and avoid a soggy pizza.
- Flip them over onto a baking tray.
- Remove the inner stem. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of pizza sauce into each mushroom.
- Add a little mozzarella to each pizza.
- Top with a combination of your favourite toppings and season well.
- Place mushrooms on the braai and cook with the lid down until tender and the cheese has melted.
- Top with fresh herbs and serve immediately.