One ingredient, a world of possibilities. Let us show you what you can do with a DENNY mushroom. Hint: it’s wildly tasty! Add goodness to every meal with our DENNY recipes.
Mushrooms on Toast With Poached EggServes: 4-6Prep time: 5 minutesCook time: 15 minutes
4 very fresh XL Free-Range Eggs
4 slices sourdough bread
2 Tbsp olive oil
500g Denny Brown mushrooms, sliced
½ onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, grated
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsp butter
Juice of ½ lemon (about 1Tbsp)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped chives for serving
Softened butter for serving
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Crack an egg into a small tea cup or bowl.
- Stir simmering water with a slotted spoon to make a gentle vortex. Tip egg out of cup and into center of vortex. Repeat with 3 more eggs so there are 4 eggs total in saucepan. Cook until whites are just set but yolk is still very soft. You can lift an egg out of the water with a slotted spoon and gently press on yolk to assess doneness. Total cook time will be about 2½ minutes from the time each egg hits the water. Transfer to a warm plate with slotted spoon.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and all their water has evaporated.
- Add the thyme, butter and lemon juice and stir well while the butter is melting to create a creamy sauce then take off the heat. Season to taste.
- Toast sourdough until golden and then smear with some softened butter.
- Spoon a generous amount of mushrooms onto each slice of toast. Top with a poached egg. Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chives.