One ingredient, a world of possibilities. Let us show you what you can do with a DENNY mushroom. Hint: it’s wildly tasty! Add goodness to every meal with our DENNY recipes.
Roast Chicken with Festive Mushroom StuffingServes: 4-6Prep time: 15 minutesCook time: 2 hours
1 large free-range chicken (± 1.5kgs)
500g Mediterranean potatoes, quartered
Fresh thyme, rosemary & bay leaves
For the stuffing:
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh thyme
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
500g Denny White Button Mushrooms, sliced
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
60g / ½ cup pecan nuts, lightly toasted
60g / ½ cup dried cranberries
50g / ½ cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook until tender. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced white buttons. Cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Switch the heat off and discard the herb stems. Add the lemon zest, pecans, cranberries and breadcrumbs. Mix well and season generously.
- Divide the stuffing in two and stuff the chicken with one half. Place the chicken in a large roasting dish. Surround the chicken with potatoes and herbs.
- Season everything with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place the roaster in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Carefully remove the hot roaster from the oven and scatter the remaining mushroom stuffing over the potatoes.
- Return to the oven for another 45 minutes until the chicken legs are cooked through and the scattered stuffing is deeply golden brown and crispy (If you have a smaller chicken check earlier, however, filling the cavity of a roast chicken will add to the cooking time).
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Squeeze over a little fresh lemon juice. Carve the chicken and serve alongside the roasted potatoes, crispy crunchy stuffing and a green salad.